Now:The other day Gary, Rick, and I were on the deck watching this spider. It had built a web from the door jamb to the side of the house. A fly had been caught in it's web, and we all watched as the spider came down the web, paralyzed it, rapidly wrapped it up, then carried it up the web and tucked it away behind the frame of the door to enjoy later. Rick is an avid photographer and he quickly grabbed his camera and started taking shots. It really was an amazing sight! I asked Rick, "Do you remember the part in Charlotte's Web when Charlotte tells Wilbur what she does when she catches a spider, and Wilbur gets upset?" He said, "Yea ma, I remember it," in a "how could I possibly not" tone of voice. That is because ...
Then:
I absolutely love the book Charlotte's Web by E.B. White! It is my all time favorite book. When I taught second grade, before my children were born, I read it to my class every year. I also love the movie, because it is absolutely true to the book. My kids heard the book and watched the movie so many times that it came to, "Mom, no more Charlotte's Web!" They absolutely refused to let me pull out either the book or the movie.
If you want to teach children about loving someone unconditionally, especially when they are so very different from you, read them this book - and most definitely watch the movie. Talk about it too. This book is full of life lessons - love, friendship, faithfulness, trust ... I could go on and on.
You know what? I know my kids got it because they are loving, caring, trustful, faithful friends. I would be honored to have any one of them for my friend.
I hope some day they read the book to their children. No, on second thought, that will be my job ...
This was the first book I ever taught. I drew in colored chalk on my blackboard a picture of Wilbur. It was the first thing my students saw on the first day of school, and so began an incredible journey with this book!
ReplyDeleteAunt Terry!!!! I saw this spider picture.... here... I just Knew it was Charlotte!!!... so I went to your Blog :)))) I remember I had the privilege of reading some of the book to them when I came & stayed... I remember it so clearly... I had to read the bit where they are talking about Wilbur become "meat".... I felt like I'd burst there bubble! :(((
ReplyDeletei love you .... and those days with my little cousins are some of my favorites ♥
The above comment was written by Lili Love on my facebook wall. I copied and pasted it to my blog.
ReplyDelete